Saturday, November 20, 2010

But I AM glad to be 41!

Birthday Celebration as part of GNO

I think facebook is best on birthdays. It's nice to reflect on the people who have at least stopped by my wall for just a moment to say "happy birthday." Nice to think about how I know them and memories I have of them.

So, back to 41 things:

I had originally planned on listing all 41. I've worked on this post off and on for the better part of a few weeks, and I just haven't liked how it's been put together. So, while I know I've done at least 41 things for me - taking the entire month of November, rather than just to my birthday, here are my favorites:
  • rewatching all 6 Harry Potter movies with my girls, and then seeing it with them on opening day. It was wonderful!
  • spending a day in bed re-reading Harry Potter 7
  • On my birthday I got up and ran a 5K. First race since this summer, and only my second "real" race this year. Injuring my knee training for and during the half marathon last year definitely set me back with running. I wanted to do less than 35 minutes, and I did, with 34:57! Not back to my best time, but I really haven't been running longer than 5K distance yet. Who runs a 5K on her birthday? I do!
  • I read to a 5th grade class. It's been a long time since I've read to a class, and the kids seemed to enjoy the book. It was great to be back in front of an elementary classroom again. I'm in classrooms a lot, but rarely am I "teaching."
  • Doing a dating experiment. Yes. Why not? That's all I'll say about it for now. Carpe diem!
  • Taking three 13 year olds to sushi on my birthday. Yes, me who didn't even eat sushi until last May. It's what I wanted to eat. Please, take my temperature.
  • Saw Steel Magnolias at the new black box theatre on campus. Lovely, lovely production.
  • Went to GNO on a school night. Drove two hours to get there and 2 hours back, but I needed it. Was good to have a night out and have fellowship with people who don't do the same things that I do on a regular basis.
  • Tried a Blueberry Beer Float. Sweetwater Blue Beer, vanilla ice cream, blue berries, and raw sugar. It wasn't bad!
  • Cancelled class one night.
  • Had one week where I was completely caught up with grading.
I find that at the moment I'm in a really good place. Perhaps the best place I've been mentally and emotionally in a very long time. So, I'm curious what's next in this crazy adventure called life.

Forty was a good year. Hard at times, but overall a year of happiness, growth, some sadness, and getting even more in touch with what I want out of life. I certainly spent my days much more centered and focused on the here and now rather than the past or the future, and feel that I savored moments more than I let them pass me by - that may be the greatest gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment