Monday, September 5, 2011

Settling, Part I

The past seven weeks have been a blur. I went from massive limbo to overdrive as things started to happen. The quick and dirty:

  • Bought a house
  • Sold my other house three days later
  • Began a home renovation project which took 3x longer than I anticipated. 
  • Shuttled a child to band camp - even though we weren't in the house yet.
  • Started a new job - even though we weren't in the house yet.
  • Kids started school - even though we weren't in the house yet.
  • House got "done enough" to move in.
  • PODS arrived 12 weeks and 2 days after I shipped them off
  • PODS were unloaded into the house
  • Birthday party for my oldest back where we used to live.
  • Boxes remain everywhere... but my kitchen is finally unpacked, and I cooked for the first time since May yesterday.
I could go on. Point is, there has been no time to think very hard about what is going on, nor really much time to unpack and get settled into the house because life started happening anyway. 

Yet through this crazy time, I have had such peace. No, things did not go the way I wanted them to. Yes, it has been manic trying to juggle all of these things. Yes, lots of decisions, like where to sleep each night, had to be made in order to facilitate the process, but none of them marked the end of the world... they were just inconveniences. And I've learned a few things, too:
  • I have the patience of Job. I have often said it is folly to pray for patience, because it will surely get tested. I learned that I don't have to pray for it - I already have it.
  • Control is overrated. We really don't have it anyway, so letting go of the process and letting it happen organically is a beautiful thing. So what that I had to reschedule PODS five times... it didn't matter. Things worked out because I was flexible in my thinking and attitude. Great life lesson, there.
I can honestly look at this entire process and see God's hand in each part. 

I am where I am supposed to be. 

I feel my heart settling. The vagabond in me is at peace, and my heart is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment