Saturday, March 5, 2011

Silence


Yesterday morning I did a Multiple Intelligences Inventory with my students - something I've done for the past few years when I teach this particular course. And just like every year, I take it, too, because inevitably what is strongest for me has changed. The ones I expect to be strong are, but whichever one is the strongest changes from time to time.

What struck me this time was one of the indicators, found in Musical Intelligence (one of my stronger ones):

"Concentration is difficult for me if there is background noise."

That's an easy one for me to check. That's why I can't work at the office. That's why I frequently work in silence at home. When I did my dissertation, I usually worked at night after everyone went to bed.

This time, however, it struck me because the radio in my car has been silent for the past few weeks. I haven't even thought about it.

I've had a lot on my mind. Some big things that I've needed to think through regarding sorority, school for the girls next year, not to mention professional and personal concerns. I've noticed for awhile that when I have to process things, I need to be by myself and noise needs to be diminished, but I've never connected it to Musical Intelligence.

I've found it interesting that I really haven't written about all that's on my mind. It could be that another one of my strongest intelligences, the Intrapersonal one, has kicked in. I often use writing to help me process, but that is usually when I want the thoughts to come out, not stay in. These thoughts I've needed to live with for awhile - just to see if I can be comfortable with them. Likely why I've been silent here, too. I'm just not comfortable enough for a larger audience to play with my thoughts yet. A few people have been privy to them, but as a whole - these thoughts live with me right now.

The radio will be back on soon, and then I'll be able to let those thoughts spread their wings. I know that I'll be writing about them, because I want there to be a record of them for my children to see when they get older. One thing I can say at the moment is that I'm certain that it's time for a new chapter in my life. A large portion of that new chapter is nothing but attitude - how I look at things; others are much more concrete. The impact of that new chapter is far reaching for my family.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the shift that comes from not just imagining life differently, but from actually living it differently ... for now, though, I'm sitting in silence, watching the pieces rearrange themselves and fit into place in a way I had not imagined before.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Elegantly written. Whatever the deicisions are, I'm confident you'll go forth in the direction of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete